In translation the word shirodhara can be broken into its two roots shiro, meaning head and dhara meaning to pour. In this traditional Ayurvedic treatment to the head, special attention is paid to the region just between the eyebrows, commonly referred to as the third eye. In Ayurveda the very top of the head is especially important because it is the location of the crown chakra, the area through which the soul is said to enter the body at birth, and leave with death. From a biological standpoint, this area of the forehead is also home to some of the main endocrine, or master glands, like the pineal gland, the pituitary gland, and the region of the brain in control of these glands, the hypothalamus. Treatments can be deeply therapeutic, and are known to rejuvenate the spirit and reinvigorate the body. The goal is to bring about emotional and physical balance through the methodical application of medicated oil to this center point of the forehead.
How can a Shirodhara help you?
- Chronic Fatigue
- Mental Exhaustion
- Nervousness or Anxiety
- Stress Relief
- Heart Disease
- Weight gain and Obesity
- Hormonal Imbalances (cortisol, insulin)
- Dysmenorrhea and Pre menopause
- Blood Disorders
- Migraines or Headaches
- Baldness or Premature graying
- Superficial skin disorders of the head and scalp
- Eye Disease
What to Expect:
1) Expect to spend forty five minutes in treatment
2) The treatment room at Life without Pain LLC is warm and inviting. Clients will be asked to lie on their backs on the treatment table. Their eyes will be covered, and the lights dimmed. Clients are asked to focus on their breath, while soft music plays. Once settled, the treatment will begin
3) The methodic application of warm, medicated oil begins at the center of the forehead. The technician will then trace patterns across the forehead with the oil before returning to the third eye once more.
4) After twenty minutes the scalp will be lightly massaged to awaken the body and the mind, the face will be cleansed and steamed briefly with a warm, lavender scented cloth
5) Clients will be given several minutes to awaken and collect themselves before being offered one of Life without Pain’s signature teas.
6) Upon leaving clients can expect to feel lifted in their mood and light in their body.
Shirodhara was recommended to me for the minimization of the phantom pain I commonly feel. I was skeptical at first, but soon came to find that treatments almost put me into a coma I was so relaxed. It felt as though my body literally was melting into the treatment table beneath me. My experience was unique, I received Shirodhara, Lepa on my leg stump and Healing Touch therapy simultaneously, I left feeling totally relaxed, and to my great surprise, pain free.
Jawigka Krol of Brookfield WI:
I have now had several shirodhara treatments and have always come away feeling uniquely rested and relaxed. The atmosphere within the treatment room is so calming that I and many others have been known to fall completely asleep during treatment. I would recommend this therapy to anyone looking to calm their mind, and reset their senses. The relief I found with my shirodhara treatments is almost intoxicating, and has kept me coming back every couple of weeks for more.
Cost: $45 (packages available for multiple visits)
Treatment will last 20 minutes. Clients should plan on spending forty-five minutes in office. For the benefits shirodhara brings, we reccomend starting at 20 minutes and working your way up in inciments of 10 minutes for maximum benefits. An hour Treatment will cost $75